Tooth extraction may be essential for different reasons. It’s possible that you’ve been injured in an accident or that you’re dealing with oral health problems. Additionally, extractions are necessary in cases of misalignment and overcrowding. Our dentists at Long Falls Dentistry have provided a list of instructions that can make your recovery process a lot easier. Follow these after-care tips by your favorite Carthage dentist to make the process as easy and painless as possible.
After-Care Instructions For Your Tooth Extraction Procedure
There are several tips that you can follow to ensure that the affected region heals nicely. The ones listed below will help to quicken the process and make it easier for you.
Take Proper Rest
- Prop your head up in a pillow and keep it in an elevated position for the rest of the day after your extraction procedure.
- Do not hurry while getting up from the bed. You might feel dizzy
- Do not exercise or perform physically stressful activities for the next 72 hours after your extraction procedure.
Control The Bleeding
It’s common to suffer some bleeding when your dentist in Carthage performs an extraction. If you find red spots in your saliva, don’t be alarmed. To stop bleeding, apply firm pressure with a gauze or a teabag. If the bleeding continues even after 24 hours of your surgery then you must rush to the dental office without any delay.
The pain you experience before the procedure is much more than the pain you experience after. This is why a tooth extraction procedure is recommended, to relieve you from the constant pain and get rid of your damaged teeth. You can discuss with your Carthage dentist and opt for painkillers if you are experiencing a lot of discomfort. However, if the pain persists after 24 hours then you must visit the dental office immediately.
- You can use an ice pack to keep the inflammation under control. Gently press the cold compress against your cheek, near the site of the surgery. Then take it off. Repeat the process every 5 minutes.
- You can also apply moist heat for 24 hours after the extraction procedure.
- However, if the swelling does not subside then you must consult your dentist in Carthage right away.
Focus On Your Diet
- After your procedure, eat soft foods. Crispy and sticky food items may pose a risk to the extraction site.
- For the first few days, stay away from foods that are extremely hot, spicy, or cold.
- Consume nutritious foods and maintain a well-balanced diet.
Things You Should Avoid
- Avoid consuming hot beverages right after your extraction surgery
- Avoid smoking and other tobacco products. Tobacco can obstruct the clotting process, resulting in a dry socket.
- Avoid consuming alcoholic beverages. This may slow down the healing process and your body could take a long time to recover.
Some More General Instructions
- Do not rinse, spit or sip on a straw for the next 72 hours after the procedure. This will prevent a blood clot from forming.
- Rinse your mouth gently for the next week.
- It is better to avoid using a mouth rinse for the next 7 days after your extraction process.
- Brush the area gently avoiding the site of surgery 24 hours after the procedure.
We hope this blog helps you in your recovery process. Get in touch with us at Long Falls Dentistry if you are looking for the best tooth extraction procedure in Carthage, NY.