Same-day dentures, also known as immediate dentures, are a type of denture that you can receive immediately after having your natural teeth extracted by our dentists at Carthage, NY. These dentures can be partial or complete dentures.
While you can receive same-day dentures after losing your natural teeth, you will need four to five visits to our dental clinic before your teeth are extracted. Typically, during these visits, you will:
How Do Same-Day Dentures Function?
- Consult with our dentists
- Make impressions of your teeth and jaw.
- Choose the color of your teeth for same-day dentures.
- Have your back teeth extracted before you have all of your teeth extracted.
- Try on your back teeth.
Removing the back teeth is only the first step toward receiving a full set of same-day dentures. By removing the back teeth and allowing the area to heal, your same-day dentures are more likely to fit correctly. These appointments ensure that your same-day dentures fit properly.
The Benefits and Drawbacks of Same-Day Dentures
As with any dental procedure, there are advantages and disadvantages to having same-day dentures. Depending on your circumstances, some of the advantages and disadvantages may not be significant. Keep this in mind as you weigh the benefits and drawbacks of same-day dentures.
Advantages of Same-Day Dentures
- You should never be without visible teeth.
- Following tooth extraction, dentures can help protect your gums.
- Due to the lack of dentures, no dietary changes are required.
The Drawbacks of Same-Day Dentures
- It may be more expensive than traditional dentures.
- As gums heal and shrink, several adjustments, if not a complete remake, may be required.
- Because the gums are swollen after tooth extraction, it can be uncomfortable to use.
- Depending on the structure of their mouth, not everyone can have same-day dentures.
Same-Day Dentures Alternatives
Instead of same-day dentures, there are several options for tooth replacement. Riverside Dental Care provides the following services:
- Traditional dentures – These dentures are full tooth replacements that are removable. They’ll be made after your teeth have been extracted and your gums have healed. The fit of your dentures will be more precise if you wait until your mouth has healed.
- Dentures that are implanted – Implanted dentures are a longer-lasting full-tooth replacement that is fixed and can function exactly like your natural teeth. Titanium posts are inserted into the jaw to keep the dentures stable and the jawbone properly supported.
- Bridge – A bridge is a good option if you do not need all of your teeth replaced but have multiple teeth that need to be replaced. This type of denture is a partial denture that can be implanted or removed.
Contact Long Falls Dentistry in Carthage, NY for same-day dentures or other dental services. Our dental clinic can give you the smile of your dreams.