You need to know that sedation is one of the major parts of modern dentistry. It is generally defined as the best way of making the patient feel either no or less time while dental work is in progress. Another name for sedation dentistry is sleep dentistry which is not completely accurate. The patients who are given a dosage of sedation are generally awake and not asleep.
Here at Long Falls Dentistry, we often come across patients who are scared about sedation and have several queries related to this topic. Incomplete knowledge can be the reason for hesitations and inhibitions. It is due to this reason that we chose to post a blog that will cover all the detailed information regarding sedation dentistry.
Different Types of Sedation Dentistry
There are 4 different types of sedation dentistry that you must be aware of. We have provided the various options in the pointers below.
- Inhaled Minimal Sedation – In this process, nitrous oxide which is also known as laughing gas is inhaled by the patient. The gas is supplied with the help of a mask after mixing it with oxygen. Inhaling the nitrous oxide gas helps the patient to remain calm and relaxed during the dental procedures. The patient ultimately goes back home fine after the treatment is complete.
- Oral Sedation – Another type of sedation used in modern dentistry is known as oral sedation. The dosage in this type of sedation can vary from minimal to moderate. In case of a minimal dosage, the patient is provided with a pill that has to be consumed a few hours before the dental work. Whereas a larger dose is used to generate moderate sedation. The major function of the pill is to make the patient feel very drowsy and in turn, make him/her feel no pain.
- IV Moderate Sedation – This type of sedation is generally used in case of advanced situations. It involves injecting a selective drug through the vein of a patient. IV moderate sedation yields quick results if compared with the other sedation options. A professional is adept at controlling the level and dosage of sedation in this process.
- General anaesthesia and deep sedation – It includes intake of medications that can make a patient partly or completely unconsciousness during undergoing the dental treatment. The patient cannot be awakened with ease until the effect of anaesthesia is gone completely.
Benefits of Sedation Dentistry
As mentioned before, several people remain scared or rather confused about sedation and its effect. Keeping this in mind, we are providing you with the benefits of sedation dentistry.
- The first and the foremost of undergoing sedation dentistry is it keeps you calm and relaxed while undergoing dental treatment. This is very essential in case of kids as they panic a lot while even visiting a dentist.
- It helps to lessen the gag reflex.
- A major portion of the people visiting dental clinics finds dental treatment synonymous with the terms of pain and distress. This is where sedation dentistry comes into effect. It helps the person to feel no or less pain during dental treatment.
- Using sedative helps the dental professional to conduct the treatment in a much more seamless manner.
We hope that you have now gained a clear idea about sedation dentistry. Most of the clinics nowadays used top-notch sedation dentistry methods to serve the patients with the best assistance. If you are looking for the best sedation dentistry in Carthage, NY, contact Long Falls Dentistry. Apart from this, we also offer a wide array of dental treatments at really economical prices. Our staff is also very friendly and put in efforts to resolving all your doubts. So, be it questions related to steps of a roots canal therapy or cosmetic dentistry treatments, we are here to get your back. Call us today.